“…the people brought to Jesus all who had various kinds of sickness, and laying hands on each one, he healed them. Moreover, demons came out of many shouting, “you are the Son of God!…” (Luke 4:40-41).
- This account makes it clear that many of their sicknesses where caused by demons (but not all were caused by demons). Jesus made no clear distinction between healing sicknesses and expelling demons.
- Demons can be the cause of many kinds of physical pain and sickness, but it takes the Holy Spirit’s gift of discernment to distinguish if it is caused by demons or not.
- The gospels record that Jesus healed the mute, deaf and blind by expelling demons (see Matthew 9:32-33, 12:22, Luke 11:14).
- Jesus met a woman who had suffered from what we might call spinal curvature or scoliosis for eighteen years. Although her condition seemed to be purely physical, Jesus declared that she had been bound by a “spirit of infirmity.” On that basis, He set her free and she was completely healed (Luke 13:11-16).
- Jesus dealt with a boy who had the symptoms of epilepsy. He confronted it, however, as “a dumb and deaf spirit” (v.25). When the demon was expelled, the boy was healed (Mark 9:17-29).
- Some examples of sickness where the presence of the demonic can be the cause are epilepsy, blindness, muteness, deafness, arthritis, rheumatism, barrenness, asthma, sinusitis, cancer, crippling, sexual infirmity, stroke, etc.
- It must be borne in mind that in some cases, the entry point for the demon causing sickness may be an ancestral sin or curse (refer to Generational Curses) or involvement with false religions/occult. Also, some of the sickness mentioned above could be caused by a “guiding spirit,” especially in cases where the sickness is found to be transmitted down the generational line. These demons induce exactly the same symptoms in the offspring as were present in the person who dies. In such cases, when the “guiding spirit” is expelled, the person gets completely free from the physical symptoms like arthritis and epilepsy.
- Every child of God can pray and heal the sick. Use this simple Healing Prayer Model.
This post is a part of a series of posts regarding Inner Healing. Click here to access the Introduction to Inner Healing and the entire list of topics in the Inner Healing series.