When life seems completely out of control, we may begin to panic. We wonder if there is any hope for us. Will we ever get things back in control?
In the book of Revelations, there was destruction, and unparalleled calamities all over the earth. Right in the midst of all this, here is what happened:
When the Lamb opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour. (Rev 8:1)
Silence in heaven for half an hour indicates to me that before that “silence” there was constant activity. We’re not told what kind of activity was going on, but the context indicates that it would have been in response to the calamity on the earth. This indicates two things:
- There was constant response in heaven to things that happen here on earth. For example:
- God responded to the misery of his people in Egypt (Exodus)
- When God’s enemies speak against him, “the one in heaven laughs” (Psalm 2)
- When one sinner repents, all of heaven rejoices (Luke 15:7)
- When God commands silence, that indicates to me that he is in control. Even when there is utmost turmoil and devastation, God has not lost control. He is always in control. Here are a few examples:
- “Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases” (Psalm 115:3)
- “He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” (Colossians 1:17)
- “Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God” (Psalm 90:2)
So, is your life out of control? Remember, heaven responds and remains in control. Be firm and continue to trust God.
Join the discussion and add your thoughts. What have you learned?
Please share briefly in the comments section on the website barnabas.in
I am a pastor, teacher, and writer, devoted to helping people live their potential.
* For a Malayalam video of this post, visit my Facebook page.
* If you enjoyed reading this post, please share it with others who may benefit from reading this.
* For a list of books that I’ve recently read, here is my Reading List.